Monday, December 20, 2010

Peppermint "Mocha" Cake



This last weekend I made a cake for our family Christmas party. I wanted it to taste like a peppermint mocha from starbucks. The Mocha flavor got lost behind the peppermint...so it was more like a chocolate peppermint cake (which is still great!) This is a great ONE BOWL chocolate cake recipe...so easy, moist and best of all....tasty! I think next time I will make a mocha frosting. FIVE days until Christmas?!? I can't believe it! HAPPY BAKING!

Peppermint "Mocha" Cake

for the cake:
2 c flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1 c milk
1/2 c canola oil (or vegetable)
1 t vanilla extract (I replaced this with 3/4 peppermint extract)
1 c hot, strongly brewed coffee
2 eggs

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, b. powder, b. soda, and salt

Add the oil, milk, vanilla, coffee and eggs. Beat (or stir) very well. The batter will be pretty thin. Pour into two 9 inch greased pans (you can also just change baking times if you want to bake it in cupcakes, or one larger pan).

Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes...until the top springs back when you press it.

If you are going to frost this cake, you might want to freeze the layers first....it is very moist!

I used cream cheese icing with a little peppermint extract in it. Use the recipe HERE.

For the snowflakes and swirls, I piped melted chocolate onto wax paper. Once they hardened, I placed them on the freshly iced cake. It was a fun project!

2 comments: