Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Low Fat Crunchy Granola


I decided to fill my cookie jar with something healthy this week. The cookies just kept calling my name, and I needed something guilt-free to snack on. I LOVE this granola recipe...it is super simple and quick to make. It is also very customizable. Just add your favorite nuts in place of the almonds. Add dried fruit, toasted coconut or dark chocolate chips after baking. Mmmmm. It is a great, crunchy topping for yogurt, salads or ice cream! This is a recipe for a small batch since I am the only one who ever eats granola around here. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
2 c rolled oats
1/3 c brown sugar
pinch of salt
2 T water
1 t vanilla
1/2 c almonds, or your choice of nuts

Preheat oven to 275. Lightly spray your baking pan with cooking spray.

Combine the oats and nuts in a large bowl.

Microwave your brown sugar, water and salt in a microwave safe bowl for one minute. Stir in the vanilla. Pour on top of the oat mixture and stir until the oats are covered.

Pour onto the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.


1 comment:

  1. This looks so simple! I tried making granola a few months ago and failed miserably!! I'll have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete