Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Chicken Broth


When I need a little "help" with dinner I will pick up a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club. It is $4.98 and we use it for several meals. I usually take a breast and the legs off for dinner. I take the rest of the meat off and use for nachos, quesadillas or salad for dinner the next night. I also use it to make meals for the twins. My favorite part of buying the chicken is using the "carcass" to make chicken broth. I just throw the bones and skin into the pot, add water and a few other ingredients and let it simmer. Use whatever you have on hand to flavor the broth. I use the broth for soup, white chicken chili, or to boil egg noodles in. Hope this helps you save a few dollars in your grocery budget!

Ingredients:
Chicken Carcass (lol)
Water
Salt/Pepper
Clove of Garlic
Carrots
Celery
Onion

Separate your chicken from the bones/skin.

Cover the chicken bones/skin with water in a large pot. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and spices to season. Bring to a boil and then allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Allow to cool and transfer to the fridge or freezer until you are ready to use it!


1 comment:

  1. I've heard that adding a Tbsp of vinegar pulls the calcium out of the bones for a more nutritious broth. I tried it last time and it didn't affect the flavor of the broth at all!

    ReplyDelete